If you find that your questions are not answered on this page, please contact us
Do you make house calls or see clients in the hospital?
 Yes, we make both house and hospital calls, however these generally need to be booked well in advance and there is an additional fee for this service. Please call for details. 
Do I need an appointment?
We recommend you make an appointment which will allow us to have the time required for your needs.  Please call or email for an appointment so we can ensure that our notary is available for you 
Why use a Notary Public?
Experience. Because we concentrate on real estate and estate planning our entire operation is geared to successful document preparation. We do not practice in contentious matters, so we can devote our time and energy to our clients’ deadlines and priorities.  All Notaries in BC are covered for errors and omissions. Tracy D. Parker, Notary Public, also carries an additional professional errors and omissions policy.
What is the main difference between a Notary Public and a lawyer?
The main difference between a Notary Public and a lawyer is that Notaries Public do not handle contentious matters. Notaries can and are required to give legal advice in the areas of law in which they practice. Under the Legal Profession Act, lawyers are entitled to use the style and title of “Notary Public”, but they are not commissioned Notaries Public nor are they members of the Society of Notaries Public of British Columbia. 
What do you charge for your services?
What is the difference between Joint Tenants and Tenants in Common in property ownership?
As a Tenant in Common, you own your interest in the property outright; on your death, your interest in the property is yours to leave to a beneficiary. This is how you may own property with a business partner.

As a Joint Tenant, there is a right of survivorship: on your death, your interest in the property immediately reverts to the surviving Joint Tenant(s). This is generally how we would register property in the case of a husband and wife. 

I am looking at buying a new home and am considered a first time home owner in BC. Is there any assistance available? Would I have to disclose that I owned a home 20 years ago in the US?
There are various federal programs available through your lender or broker that may provide some assistance with your purchase. One matter to consider is that Property Transfer Tax applies to all purchases of real property in BC, unless there is a reason that the transaction is exempt or partially exempt. To qualify for an exemption as a first time home buyer one of the ten main conditions that must be met is that you “must not have previously owned an interest in a principal residence anywhere”. If you did not disclose that you previously owned a home regardless of the location, or made any false declaration, you could be assessed a penalty equal to twice the tax otherwise payable.